I got the idea from a book I read recently by John Rosemond called The New Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children. I give this book 8.5 stars out of 10. I've never read this author before, but he was quoted in Merilee Boyack's book, The Parenting Breakthrough...which is one of my faves. I've never liked that my kids watch TV. (And when I say TV, I just mean DVDs, because we never bought a new TV for the digital switch in 2009...we are behind the times, but I like it.) Anyways, on to the EXPERIMENT:
CASE STUDY #1: The Chan-an-du-lator (commonly referred to as Chandler, the 7 yr old.)
Early riser, easily distracted, loves to quote facts, short fuse, strong reader, short attention span, high ambition, needs people all the time. Wonderful and cute boy, but you can imagine how that combination could complicate life! I allowed TV usually at these times: during his early wake-up time, while I showered, when I made dinner, and any other time he was bored and couldn't stop making trouble! It added up to way more than I wanted, and the other two kids were usually watching right along with him. I really saw no way around it--it was either TV or tears.
Well...the book said that a lack of TV would solve what I was using the TV for in the first place. So what could I lose?
GAME PLAN:
First on the list was to get the boys library cards, and stock them up. Check.
Next I sorted toys: creative ones they can use in more than one way (Legos, Tinkertoys, matchbox cars, etc) were put in the TV room, and everything else went upstairs. Check.
Then I broke the news...which went over a lot better than I expected! I told them I decided TV wasn't good for them, so we would only watch it on the weekends from now on. "If you wake up before me, you can do any of these things (pointing to books/toys), but no TV." Check.
THE MIRACLE:
It's been almost a month now, and it's working! Not only that, but Chandler is a noticeably stronger reader now. He gets frustrated less often, and can handle entertaining himself for much longer. Bennett rarely tells me he's bored anymore (he used to all the time), and even Eden is playing more imaginatively.
Here's what I've learned that helps (especially in the beginning): Show them how to play, then leave. My kids didn't really know what to do with a pile of wooden blocks. I started them building castles, puppy houses, etc, and then let them go. It really helped. Also, I've learned to put Chandler in his room for reading time (especially while I shower or cook dinner). Provoking his siblings is too easy otherwise. I seriously can't believe this works.
Is anyone else fascinated by this experiment?! I love to conduct studies on my helpless subjects!!! And I have so many more to try out on them, the fun is endless! (And of course it helps when it really is good for them.)
UPCOMING EXPERIMENTS:
Study #1: Goal Charts, Will They Ever Become Truly Pleasant?
Study #2: Can Children Really Consume a Healthy Dinner with a Smile and a Thank You?
Study #3: Can I Really Survive a Summer of No TV and a Newborn???
to be continued...
7 comments:
You're a genius. I LOVE the idea of having the creative toys in the tv room! I'm so glad you did your little experiment!
Nice, that is amazing that Chandler will just read in his room. We don't watch tv on Sundays, so if we went to only weekends, that would mean Saturdays only and I think Brenton would have a nervous breakdown.
Yea, I don't know if I could have pulled it off before Chandler learned to read! Life was harder then.
For "Sunday Screen Time" I ordered the scripture books on DVD, and one on church history (church website). They think it is oh-so-special to turn the lights off and watch those with popcorn! It cracks me up. They call it a "dark party". :) spooky.
Good work Jamie. You are very brave. You have inspired me to do a better job at this. Can't wait to see how your other experiments come out.
You go girl!
this is an awesome idea. i NEED to do it. you are such a great mom!
Jamie, this is Cara's little sister, Teann. :) I hopped on over to your blog from Cara's, I hope you don't mind... But I love this experiment you shared. I am in the same boat with using the TV as an outlet to occupy my kids, and it's getting to be WAY too often. So I'm going to give our own little version of this a try and we'll see how it goes! Wish us luck. :)
Post a Comment