Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Musings in January



Can we hibernate through the rest of winter?

I think I like being in the 3rd trimester in the deep of winter. At least I'm going to say that to myself. The last time I did a 3rd trimester in winter was when we lived in Albuquerque...and I think I wore sandals the whole time. Mostly I just love the fact that in the winter we have no spiders/centipedes/wasps in our house. My heart rate can't take a lot of abuse at this point in the pregnancy, so it's good to be able to relax and watch the snow pile up.

One down side to winter is the risk of running out of propane. We did that last week. We went 30 hours without a furnace. But never fear, that's what space heaters are for, guys! The boys were (thankfully) at school for a good chunk of it, and Eden and I camped out in a tiny room that we kept toasty warm. I called my blessed propane company over 10 times...the people I talked to claimed one of two things: that help was coming right away (it wasn't), or that there was absolutely nothing they could do (of course our delivery men don't have cell phones, what are you talking about Mrs. Lamb!).

When the delivery man finally arrived (we were NINTH on his list that day), I asked him if he had a cell phone that he used to contact his employer. He told me of course he did. I asked if anyone at all had called him about us. Umm, no. Then I asked if he needed to start the pilot light on our furnace. He said no. But really he did need to. Five hours later...Jarom came home and nervously lit the pilot light without blowing up our house. And now we're warm again, just like that! So fun to pretend we are camping in January!

Do you know we have only 16 months left before we pack up and move? So...all I have to do between now and then is this:

-Give birth
-Learn how to parent 4 kids
-Train baby to sleep next fall (eeek!)
-Sell an 85 year old house!!!

Bring it on.

So I just found out that my new Mac is too new to download my old version of Adobe Illustrator (only by 10 years). This makes me sad. But as mentioned above, I actually do have a lot to do this next year. So I guess it's okay to put off my plans of fabric design, Etsy shops, and all sorts of artistic stuff. But I really love my Mac...even if it is too snobby for my nerdy software!

1 comment:

Pam said...

you are going to busy for the next few months! and i just have to say, i love my snobby mac. maybe more than my kids...some days at least. :)