Our little man is two and a half weeks old now!...which means I haven't slept for half a month!
I decided to be induced this time, since it went so smoothly last time. The only thing I don't like about an induction is the absolute dread I feel prior to. I was so nervous, people kept asking if it was my first baby!
Once I changed into my snazzy gown, I had my I.V. put in...twice. Ouch. Then the doctor tried to break my water, but couldn't. Double ouch. So he started me on pitocin instead. Labor is painful, of course, but I must say I prefer it to the other pains of the birth process. I feel like I'm somewhat in control during labor...it's just my own body going through a gradual, neccessary process. But I panic when they come at me with needles or crochet hooks!
I was only in hard, painful labor for about two hours when they offered me the epidural. I was only at a three at his point, but the contractions were close, long, and hard. I sat up for the epidural thinking the pain was almost over, but that was not to be!
For some reason he was having trouble getting that epidural in, and he had to try over and over. My labor was at its peak during all of this. I hate to be dramatic, but WOW. After about 20 minutes, and who knows how many needle jabs, I was able to lay down again. They checked me, and I had gone from a three to an eight during that whole ordeal. By the time the doctor made it back in, I was ready to push! The epidural wasn't in full effect at all yet, but oh well...baby was ready!
Isn't it amazing how fast you can fall in love with a baby? He started crying before he was completely born, and I instantly regretted asking them to clean him off before they let me hold him. All of my focus went straight to that husky little boy voice, and all I wanted was to snuggle him! I had to wait for minutes and minutes (so picked on, I know!), but I finally got my hands on that sweet little angel!
That face! Aaah! I do hate to be dramatic, but seriously...those swollen red cheeks, soft fuzzy hair, and heavenly baby smell are irresistable! And plus, this one came with the added bonus of a dimple...so I have the right to be unreasonably smitten, right?
Newborns are the ticket, I tell ya. And it's pretty awesome to be able to share this whole experience with Jarom for a change! Now that he's done with residency, he can really take part in this whole newborn era. I was determined to continue having babies during residency years, and I managed to do it...but I much prefer sharing these sweet moments with my husband. I'll admit, I do have a hard time sharing the baby...but just to have someone there to laugh with when the baby makes a funny face, or has a royal blow out...it's so very nice. All those hours, days, and weeks of independant newborn care during residency are precious memories of mine, but I'm so thankful to have my husband by my side this time around!
I sure feel blessed. Birth is a miracle, and I recognize that more fully now than I did when I was younger. I'm so thankful for this sweet, fragile little person I've been given!
3 comments:
Congrats Jamie. I am so happy that everything went well. I can't wait to see pictures.
Congratulations on another little angel. You are such a good mom.
Congratulations on a new little one Jamie! And for making it through without the epiderul. What a trooper!
Post a Comment